Fairness – Action – Resolution
The Mission of the SSSC Office of Ethics and Professional Standards is to nurture and strengthen a culture of ethical behavior and integrity within our Kundalini Yoga and Dharmic communities, where commitment to non-harm ensures all voices are heeded, all individuals are treated with respect, and all hold accountability for their actions.
How our Mission Drives Us:
- Advancing healthy student-teacher and sangat-ministerial relationships through upholding the KRI and SDI Codes of Ethics.
- Championing an ethical, inclusive, diverse, and transparent culture where all participants can speak freely and be heard with respect.
- Providing education and resources on ethics to Kundalini Yoga teachers, teacher trainers, students, Sikh Dharma ministers, and communities:
- The 10 Rights of a KY Student
- The KRI Code of Ethics & Professional Conduct and the SDI Ministers Code of Ethics
- Clear guidelines for teachers and ministers on what constitutes a healthy student-teacher/sangat-ministerial relationship
- Education about professional boundaries to avoid exploitation of the power imbalance inherent in student-teacher/sangat-ministerial relationships
- Education on anti-harassment, nondiscrimination/inclusion, sexual misconduct, consent and power dynamics
- Making available safe and secure mechanisms for issues to be reported.
- Implementing fair and respectful processes for addressing and adjudicating complaints and concerns.
EPS serves the unity, ethics, and integrity of our local and global 3HO/KRI/Sikh Dharma communities by working with the relevant entities and individuals to resolve complaints and violations of our codes of ethics. We create and maintain processes that allow challenging situations to be worked through systematically, fairly, and respectfully. We educate our communities, ministers, teachers, and teacher trainers in how to work in ethical and conscious ways.
EPS has been handling complaints since 2014 using a formal Complaint Procedure, Mediation and Restorative Justice. EPS works independently from, but very closely with, KRI, IKYTA, 3HO, and SDI.
EPS is open to all and wishes to serve all. If you have a concern, you are encouraged to contact EPS so together we can create solutions.